top of page

Statement Lawn, Year 2- Exhaustion




Venturing into my own business was a thrilling leap into the unknown, and as the sole proprietor, I relied heavily on word of mouth to build my clientele. Things took off quicker than I anticipated, and soon, I found myself in need of extra hands to keep up with the demand. That's when I hired my first full-time employee for the summer—a move that marked the beginning of a never-ending learning curve in leadership and patience.


At that point, our services were split, with 40 percent dedicated to mowing and the remaining 60 percent to various landscape projects. The real turning point came when I landed a substantial contract to fix sod for a local municipality. Excitement mixed with uncertainty as I faced the challenge of bidding for a $40,000 sod repair job. With a mix of guesswork and determination, I sealed the deal, unknowingly setting myself up for a relentless 8-week marathon of working seven days a week, 18 hours a day.


Surviving the intense workload was a badge of honor, but it came with a crucial lesson—always double-check the variables, even if the project seems like a lucrative opportunity. The experience reshaped my approach to contracts and commitments.


As the business rolled into its second year, we achieved remarkable growth, boasting $180,000 in sales. The journey from a solo operation to leading a team and navigating major contracts was a rollercoaster of highs and lows. Each challenge was a lesson, and with the ups and downs, I forged a path of resilience and adaptability in the ever-evolving landscape of entrepreneurship but..


Stay Hungry.



5 views0 comments
bottom of page